The Potomac Association is the regional organization serving 35 United Church of Christ congregations in the greater Washington, DC, area, stretching north to Gaithersburg, MD, and south to Richmond and Chesterfield, VA. We are one of the five associations that comprise the Central Atlantic Conference of the United Church of Christ.
More information on the Central Atlantic Conference can be found at www.cacucc.org.
The United Church of Christ
The United Church of Christ is a community of faith that seeks to respond to the Gospel of Jesus Christ in word and deed. The UCC was founded in 1957 as the union of several different Christian traditions. From the beginning of our history, we were a church that affirmed the ideal that Christians did not always have to agree with each other in order to live together in communion. Our motto–“that they may all be one”–is Jesus’s prayer for the unity of the church.
More information on the United Church of Christ can be found at www.ucc.org.
The Mission of the Potomac Association
The purposes of the Potomac Association, as defined by its bylaws, are:
- To enable its local churches to cultivate a closer Christian fellowship, to deepen their spiritual life, and to cooperate more effectively in advancing the mission of Christ’s church;
- To carry on the work and exercise the functions of an Association of the United Church of Christ, as outlined in the Constitution and By-laws of the United Church of Christ;
- To cooperate with the Central Atlantic Conference of the United Church of Christ and through the Conference, with the General Synod of the United Church of Christ, its boards, agencies and instrumentalities;
- To maintain relations with other fellowships and with interfaith bodies to the end that mutual understanding and cooperation may be advanced;
- To promote the interests and the general welfare of the local churches and the ordained ministers within the Association;
- To establish and determine the standing of local churches and of ordained ministers in the Association, including oversight of their rights and responsibilities;
- To give guidance and assistance in the organization of new local churches.
Find a Potomac Association Church
The United Church of Christ is one of the most diverse Christian denominations in the United States, and the Potomac Association is no different. Our churches come in many different sizes and are located in many different neighborhoods.
The Potomac Association seeks to support its member churches in all of the ministries to which they are called. The Potomac Association also provides support to a number of specific ministries throughout the association.