Spring 2011 Association Meeting
Official Call to
The Potomac Association Spring Meeting 2011
Click here for the Delegate’s Packet (including the items for discussion and resolution)–Coming Soon!
Click here for the Resolution for Discussion on ONA
Click here for the Resolution on Bylaw Revision
DATE: April 7, 2011
TO: Delegates of the Local Churches
and Authorized Ministers of the Potomac Association
FROM: The Board of Directors, Potomac Association
Rev. Henry E. Fairman, Moderator, Potomac Association
Rev. Kwame Osei Reed, Associate Conference Minister
The Delegates and Authorized Ministers of the Potomac Association are called to the Spring Meeting 2011.
The purpose of the Spring meeting shall be to:
- Receive reports from the officers of the Board of Directors, each Standing and Special Committee, and any other person or organization as requested by the Board of Directors.
- Elect officers, directors, and members of Standing Committees.
- Vote on nominees for the Conference Board of Directors and for other positions to which nominees of the Association may be elected.
- Act on resolutions, petitions, or overtures.
- Conduct any other business germane to the purposes of the Association.
The meeting will take place at Faith UCC-Washington, DC
4900 Tenth St NE Washington, DC 20017
Phone: (202) 635-7777
Saturday, May 7, 2011
8:30 A.M. to 12:30 P.M.
Continental Breakfast and Lunch will be provided. Registration fee is $15.00 per person (If paying by check, please make payable to “Potomac Association UCC”) .
Please contact Angie Megna by phone or email at the Central Atlantic Conference Office to register.
9:00 Opening Plenary
Reports of the Association Board and Committees
Nominations for Officers and Committees
10:00 Reflection on our Theme:
“Our Ministry grows where our treasure flows”: a discussion on our mission together
10:45 Items before the Association
Hearing on the Resolution Declaring the Potomac Association to be “Open and Affirming”
Action on the Resolution for Review and Revision of the Constitution and Bylaws of the Potomac Association
Other Business before the Association
12:30 Closing Worship
BYLAW PROVISIONS AND RULES FOR ASSOCIATION MEETINGS
QUORUM (Article VIII.D)
Each local church is expected to be faithful in sending ministers and officially designated delegates to all meetings of Association. A quorum for any meeting of the Association shall consist of twenty voting ministers and delegates from at least seven local churches, including not less than five ordained ministers and five lay persons.
REPRESENTATION (Article V.B)
Each local church shall be entitled to representation at meetings, including Ecclesiastical Councils, by three lay delegates (one of whom shall be the chief lay officer designated by the local church.)Those churches having more than 300 members shall be entitled to add one additional delegate for each additional 300 members or major fraction thereof. Membership shall be based on the last published edition of the yearbook, unless the local church shall have notified the Scribe in writing of a change in membership. All delegates shall be members of the local church represented.
VOTING (Article VI.B)
Except where otherwise provided herein or in the By-laws, all questions shall be determined by a simple majority of the voting membership present and voting.
1. Each ordained minister, the delegate(s) of each local church and each member of the Board of Directors shall be entitled to one vote at each meeting of the Association. No absentee ballots may be cast.
2. Each member of the Church and Ministry Committee, not otherwise entitled to vote, shall have one vote at Ecclesiastical Councils.